There is nothing more frustrating than trying to fix a recliner that won’t close. You might think it’s a simple task, but it can be challenging to figure out what’s wrong if you’re unfamiliar with how the mechanism works. In this article, we’ll show you how to fix a recliner that won’t close. So, if your recliner is giving you trouble, read on for some helpful tips.
A recliner is one of the essential pieces of furniture in a home. It offers comfort and support to people who want to relax. But when it doesn’t close, it can be a source of incredible frustration. Unfortunately, many people don’t know how to fix their recliner that won’t close because they’re not familiar with the mechanism. But it’s not as difficult as you might think. With a little patience and some troubleshooting, you can get your recliner working properly again.
Summary: If you have a recliner that won’t close, there are a few simple steps you can take to fix the issue. First, check to see if the recliner’s springs are frozen or stuck. If the springs are frozen, you can heat them up using a hair dryer or a small oven before trying to close the recliner. If the springs are stuck, you can use a adze or a hammer to break them free. Finally, make sure that the recliner’s clamps are tight enough and that the screws that hold them in place are properly tightened.
Reasons Why Your Recliner Won’t Close
There could be several reasons why your recliner won’t close. It could be something as simple as a loose screw or furniture or something more serious like a broken mechanism. Here are some possible reasons why your recliner won’t close:
- The furniture is not aligned correctly. This is often the case with older recliners. Over time, the furniture can become misaligned, preventing the mechanisms from working correctly.
- There is a piece of furniture in the way. For example, if there is a coffee table or end table in the way, it can prevent the recliner from closing. Make sure to clear away any obstacles before trying to close the recliner.
- A Broken Cable Release. The cable release is what allows you to recline the chair. If this is broken, it will need to be replaced before the chair can be used again.
- The mechanism is broken. If the machine is broken, it will need to be repaired or replaced. This is often the most expensive option and should be considered a last resort.
- A Loose Internal Screw. Sometimes, a screw can become loose inside the mechanism. This can prevent the recliner from closing. Try tightening the screw to see if this fixes the problem.
- – The recliner is not adequately lubricated. Recliners need to be properly lubricated to function correctly. If the recliner is not properly lubricated, it can cause the mechanism to seize up, preventing the recliner from closing.
- The springs are broken. The springs in the recliner can break over time, preventing the recliner from closing. This is usually an easy fix and can be done by replacing the springs.
- Worn Down Screws. The screws that hold the recliner together can become worn down over time. This can cause the recliner to become unstable and eventually prevent closing.
- The fabric is too tight. If the material on the recliner is too tight, it can prevent the recliner from closing. This is often the case with new recliners. However, the fabric will stretch over time, so this is not a permanent fix.
A Detailed Guide on How to Fix a Recliner That Won’t Close
Step 1: Identify the Problem Why Won’t My Recliner Close
The most common reason a recliner won’t close is that the back isn’t properly locked into place. A loose screw can cause this, a problem with the locking mechanism, or something blocking the back from moving into the correct position. Other reasons why your recliner might not be closing properly include:
- The springs are broken or damaged
- There is something caught in the track
- The motor is defective
- The chair is too heavy
Step 2: Gather the Tools You’ll Need
- A screwdriver
- A hammer
- A pair of pliers
- A flashlight
Step 3: Check for Loose Screws
If your recliner won’t close, the first thing you should do is check for loose screws. Look at the back of the chair and see if any screws are not tight. If you find any, use a screwdriver to tighten them. Then, check the arms of the chair and tighten any loose screws there. Finally, look at the chair’s base and tighten any loose screws there.
If you can’t find any loose screws, or if tightening them doesn’t fix the problem, move on to the next step.
Step 4: Check the Locking Mechanism
If your recliner’s back isn’t locking into place, the problem might be with the locking mechanism. Make sure the back of the chair is down, then try pushing down on the footrest while someone else pulls up on the back of the chair. If the back still doesn’t lock into place, you’ll need to adjust the locking mechanism.
To do this, first, locate the adjustment knob or lever. This is usually located under the chair near the back and seat meet. Once you have found it, turn it clockwise to tighten it or loosen it. Then, try testing the recliner again after making your adjustment. The recliner may not be level with the floor.
Step 5: Clear any Obstructions
If something is blocking the back of your recliner from moving into the correct position, you will need to clear it out of the way. To do this, take a look at the backrest’s track and remove any dirt, dust, or debris. Next, look for any obstructions in the space between the back and seat of the chair and remove them. Finally, check the mechanism that connects the back to the chair and clean out any dirt or debris.
Step 6: Check the Motor
There could be a problem with the motor if your recliner still won’t close after checking the machine and manually closing it. You can check the motor by unplugging the recliner from the power source and opening up the motor housing. Inspect the motor for any damage or debris that could be causing it to malfunction. If everything looks okay, try plugging the recliner back in and see if it will close properly. If not, you may need to replace the motor.
Step 7: Call a Professional
If your recliner still doesn’t close after following these steps, it may be time to call a professional. A furniture repair specialist will be able to assess the issue and make the necessary repairs. In some cases, the problem may be with the frame or mechanism of the recliner, which can be complex to fix.
Calling a professional is always a good idea when dealing with complex furniture repairs. They’ll have the tools and expertise needed to work your recliner correctly again. These steps will help in how to fix a recliner that won’t close.
Tips to Avoid This Problem in the Future
If your recliner is giving you trouble, there are a few things you can do to try to fix it. First, check the springs and see if they need to be replaced. If the problem is with the mechanism, you may need to call a professional. In the meantime, here are a few tips to help you get your recliner working again:
- Check the springs: Over time, springs can become worn out or broken. This can cause the recliner not to close correctly. Replacing the springs should fix the problem.
- Adjust the tension: The tension on the recliner’s mechanism may need to be adjusted. This can usually be done by turning a knob or screw on the side of the chair.
- Lubricate the mechanism: If the problem is with the recliner’s mechanism, you may need to lubricate it. This can usually be done by spraying WD-40 on the moving parts.
- Don’t use too much force: When closing your recliner, be sure not to use too much force. This can damage the springs or mechanism.
- Keep it clean: Over time, dust and dirt can build up on the recliner’s springs and mechanism. This can cause the recliner not to work properly. So be sure to keep it clean by vacuuming it regularly.
By following these tips, you should be able to fix your recliner and avoid the problem in the future.
How Can I Make My Recliner Easier to Close?
Over time, recliners can become more challenging to close. This is usually due to the mechanism’s build-up of dirt and debris. To make your recliner easier to close, start by cleaning the area around the handle. First, wipe away any dirt or dust that has accumulated on the handle itself, as well as on the surrounding furniture. Next, please take a look at the mechanism itself.
If there is any visible buildup of dirt or debris, use a toothbrush or other small brush to clean it out. In some cases, you may need to use a slightly damp cloth to remove stubborn dirt. Once the mechanism is clean, test it out to see if it is now easier to close. If not, there may be an issue with the springs that will require further investigation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Manually Close an Electric Recliner?
While it is possible to manually close an electric recliner, it may be more advisable to have the unit serviced. This is because manual recliners are designed for short-term use and often do not undergo regular maintenance. Over time, this can lead to mechanical problems that must be fixed in order for the chair to operate safely. Servicing your electric recliner will also ensure that any repairs are done properly and that you’re getting optimum performance from your furniture investment.
Why Has My Electric Recliner Stopped Working?
If your electric recliner has stopped working, there are a few things you can do to try and troubleshoot the issue. First, make sure to unplug the recliner from the wall outlet and try turning it on again. If the recliner still doesn’t work, you can try disconnecting the power cord from the back of the recliner and plugging it back in after 30 seconds. If that still doesn’t fix the issue, you might need to call an electrician to take a look.
Do Power Recliners Work Without Power?
There are a few ways to power recliners if you don’t have access to electricity. One option is to use a crank or hand crank, which will require some muscle strength. Alternatively, you can use an electric motor that you connect to your chair itself. Finally, there are battery-powered recliners that work without any external power source at all.
Just be sure to consult the product’s instructions before using it in case there are any limitations or warnings associated with using it without electricity.
Where is the Reset Button on a Recliner?
It’s tough to give a definitive answer to this since recliners come in different shapes and sizes, so the button may be located in a different place on each one. That being said, here are a few likely places where the reset button might be found:
– On the back of the recliner
– On the armrest
– Underneath the seat
Can You Use an Extension Cord for a Power Recliner?
Yes, you can use an extension cord for a power recliner. Just make sure that the cords are long enough to reach from the outlet to where your recliner is located. Additionally, be sure to connect the correct prongs into your recliner’s receptacle.
If your recliner is not closing, there are a few things you can do to try and fix the problem. First, check to make sure that ensure connections are tight and secure. You may also need to tighten the bolts on the chair’s frame. Finally, if nothing else seems to be working, you may need to replace the springs in your chair. Follow these simple steps on how to fix a recliner that won’t close, and you should be able to get your recliner up and running again in no time!